Christa's World

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Old Me....But New and Improved

The old me....but new and improved
Since returning from Australia, I kind of went through a down period, where I hated all that was Korea. All I wanted was to be safe at home with my family and those I love and trusted. A part of this was because I really loved that Australia (although thousands of miles away from my home in Canada) was familiar to me. There were all sorts of comforts, some that I had forgotten about, some that I was excited about revisiting. I just loved Australia. So, coming back to Korea felt like a step down somehow. Also contributing to this "blue period" was the end of a friendship. This was a necessary step for both myself and my friend, but none the less it left me questioning some things in my life. Because of these things I felt like I needed to reassess why I am here in Korea, and revisit why I came here in the first place. After about 2 weeks of getting in my own way, I woke up one day enlightened. I was at one time afraid of riding my motorcycle here , but now am finding so much joy and pleasure of cruising the streets of Mokpo. I cannot say how free and happy I feel when I am riding that bike. Secondly, I am taking guitar lessons from a very very patient kind fellow foreigner. I have always wanted to really know how to play (not in a band, but around a campfire) and this friend of mine is just the right teacher for me. The weekly lessons keeps me motivated to practice, and I can already see differences in my playing. Third, I am starting to eat better, more healthy and exercise. Although the exercise is not as often as I planned, I am making some real changes there and once again have a foreign friend helping me along the way. Her enthusiasm and knowledge helps me get and stay motivated (although sometimes I am just in awe of her ability to motivate herself!) And lastly I have started to change my negative thoughts, about myself, others and Korea in general. I want to look back on this moment in time as something I really soaked in and got the most out of. So in dedication to my newly found positive self:
The Top Ten Reasons Why "I Love Korea"
#10
Wherever you go, you are a celebrity, great for the ego! You think to yourself, hey is Brad Pitt around, why are these people so excited and giggly? Oh....its because of me! (although sometimes it falls in the top 10 reasons I hate Korea lol)
#9
Everything is so CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP here, did I mention you could get a full dinner for under 4 $
and speaking of dinner...
#8
Kalby! And Samgot sum Love love love it!!!
#7
The people here are so honest. I have never seen more honest people in my life.
#6
Korean work ethic. It doesn't matter if you work at a gas station or are the CEO of a major corporation, you are meticulous about your work.
#5
Servicey!
They give you free stuff, just for shopping at your store!
#4
Taxi's
They are so readily available ( and cheap) that if you are waiting more that 2 minutes, you think "where are all the *@! cabs!
#3
Konglish T-shirts
I love the way they butcher the English language on their t-shirts! It doesn't matter how many I see, it is a guaranteed smile when I do.
#2
All the neat "gagets"that stores have...like umbrella bags so you don't get wet when you bring your umbrella in from the rain...like the mini cars they put under the shopping carts that kids sit in and they feel like they are driving (great distraction for them I am sure!)
and the #1 reason why I love Korea is:
The amazing way they have treated me since getting here. They have taken such good care of me while I was in their country, and I will never forget that hospitality.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

WooHoo! Go Christa. Rock it.

The no. 1 reason I both love and loathe Korea... The amazing people. From the kids, friends, teachers, ajumas, to the old men heckling you in the street.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Brent said...

Don't forget that anything could be a story... from going to the dentist, to that dinner with your teachers. It's all a new experience! You just have to keep your mind open (which is tough to do all the time).

You just giver, girl!

10:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Korea rules, dude. People who don't live here are missing out.

1:48 AM  
Blogger Lahrlor said...

Christa!! I'm sorry to hear about the blue you but am so very happy to hear you're on the right track now! You're a beautiful person with so much to offer the world!! Keep your chin up doll! We love and are so proud of you!!

Love you lots!
Your honorary, unholey sister...
Lori
((((HUG))))

10:11 PM  
Blogger Ms Parker said...

Yeah - we all seem to love and hate the same things... and sometimes the things we love one week can get on our nerves the next.

Still, it's a pretty sweet lifestyle.

xoxo

Virginia

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home